Monday, March 7, 2011

Fallout New Vegas

Warning, lot and lots of nerdy stuff ahead.

:) So, I finished my first playthrough of New Vegas. I'm normally a completionist, but this time I didn't even get to level 30. Still, I did to a lot, helped a lot of people, and ended up creating a free and independent New Vegas. Yaaay. As I played the game, though, I found that I was drawn much more to the characters than I had been last game (Fallout 3). While there are several reasons for this, I found that the voice actors were simply top notch, so I'd like to go over some of them. Some of them may surprise you. Some of them will instantly brand me as a nerd because I recognized them myself.

1)[Felicia Day]
If you haven't heard of Felicia Day I suggest you educate yourself. :) Aside from her overall pale, redheaded, nerdy hotness, she's also an actress, singer and director. She created the hit online web series The Guild (fictionalized story about life in the world of MMORPGs) , stared in Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog (A Musical Tragedy in a world where quasi-super people battle each other in hoaky, awesome ways) and also in The Legend of Neil (A short web series about a man who gets drunk while playing The Legend of Zelda, and finds himself within the land of Hyrule). Additionally she will be in the upcoming web series Dragon Age: Redemption. If you're a big DA fan (Gabby :P ) you'll either be chomping at the bit for this, or you already know about it. ;)

Within New Vegas she voices the spirited Brotherhood of Steel companion, Veronica. In the interest of spoilers, I won't say much else except that she plays a sexy power armor-wearing, face-punching lesbian quite well.

Obviously I've got quite the crush on Felicia, so I think I have the most information about her. What can I say, she's amazing.

2) [René Auberjonois]
This fellow voices the powerful leader of the New Vegas strip, Mr. House. While you may not recognize his name right away, some of my nerdier friends may remember him as the Changeling "Odo" in Star Trek Deep Space Nine. His interesting voice adds a lot of character to the almost stuffy Mr. House.

3) [Mathew Perry]
Many of you have watched Friends the hit 90's SitCom which raked in bafillionz of dollars. Mathew Perry played one of my favorite characters in Friends (second to Courteney Cox, rawr) and is a hilarious person off-screen and on screen. Perry admitted to being a huge fan of Fallout 3, so he was given an integral part in New Vegas. Way to go, man. Your accent was pretty good.

In New Vegas he returns to play another of my favorite characters. Although at first I didn't like him, since he shot me in the face and then buried me alive, I learned that I was just a pawn in a much larger scheme and he was just trying to free New Vegas from everything that was trying to keep it down. That's right, Perry plays the throwback to the 50's mafia greaser, Benny, the man in the checkered suit. Benny is a good guy deep down, but I'm sure many people felt the need to return the favor of being shot in the face by him.

4) [Wil Wheaton]
Further Delving into my nerdiness, we have Mr. X-Wesly Crusher from Star Trek TNG. He has done a number of other things as well, including playing as Fawkes in The Guild, Felicia Days characters temporary love interest. Wheaton has a certain cult following, and although I'm not really part of it, I have respect for the man.
Wheaton voiced all of the Robobrains found in the game. Not very glamorous, but I thought it was pretty hilarious. Way to go, Crusher.

5) [Michael Dorn]
What's this? Another name drudged from the annals of Star Trek? That's right, Dorn is back again. He originally played the always cheerful Klingon Worf from Star Trek, TNG. He also played in Mass Effect 2 as Gatatog Uvenk, the angry krogan unwilling to let Grunt in with the rest of the krogan. Dorn played football and is a big guy, able to likely squash most people, this is presented well in his intimidating, low voice. Scarrryy.

Voicing the Super Mutant from New Vegas, Marcus (who was in Fallout 2 as well), a super mutant completely willing to not kill people, Marcus runs the Ski Lodge renamed Jacobstown, where other super muties can be free from human oppression if they feel like it. Dorn also voiced the main boss of Fallout 2, Frank Horrigan.

6) [Ron Perlman]
Perlman is an incredible character actor. He general plays in tough guy roles and is likely most famous as Hell Boy.

Perlman has in every Fallout Game voiced the Narrator who Introduces the game, and then Concludes it's ending. War...War never changes.

7) [Wayne Newton]
I couldn't go without mentioning the man who wrote the famous sound where he sounded like a woman, Danke Schoen.

In New Vegas he voices the constant, classy voice of Mr. New Vegas over the radio, keeping you awake and entertained with classic songs like Big Iron.

Lastly, I have to mention Steve Blum and Liam O'Brien who are famous only as voice actors, and do an incredible job with the many smaller roles they play.
There are a lot of incredible voice actors in the game, and I'd like to talk about them all, but oh well.

No comments: